Sunday 6 March 2011

250 Miles for two events. Shoulder OK (I Think) and Wet officials.

I had forgotten just how far Bracknell was from Rural Herefordshire. A touch under 125 miles and 2 1/2 hrs which included a slight detour to Tesco for cheap fuel and Powerade. Arrived an hour too early and was first to register for my first two swims. Plenty of time for a leisurely coffee and early lunch.

I was nervous about swimming backstroke at 100% as this was the stroke my shoulder stopped me swimming at all for the last 15 months. I decided to swim a steady fly leg and swim 10 m under water going into the back. Went a lttle deep and struggled to get back to the surface for a urgently needed breath of air.
Apart from that the backstroke went well if not flat out. Into the Devils stroke (Breast) where everyone around me took at least 3 metres from my effort. I think I had been a bit too easy to this point cause I had a storming last 25 Free taking back the lost yardage from the breast and pipping someone from my age group at the finish.
The problem with only entering 3 events at a busy meet is that there are very long gaps between them. Next event was the 50 Free which was Ok apart from being in lane 6 of a 6 lane pool which is not deck level. Very choppy swim but fairly happy with a 29.13 which is Ok after no real training since October.
The Medley Time was Ok but the only comparison was a fit, suit wearing swim from 2009 so a 1.17 was acceptable for the comeback. 
Sorry to the timekeepers in lanes 5 and 6 for soaking them on my finishes. The lady on lane 5 said she never wears whites for the big boys ! I really am not sure what she meant !!
I had entered the 50 Fly an early event in the 2nd session but I had finished the 50 Free changed and ready by 3.30. The first session was still running and the 2nd session was planned to start at 5.45 with my event about 6.30. I felt it was a long 3 hrs to wait for a 50 Fly and I could be home before it started so I left to ensure I spent Sat evening with Mrs Tewson who was more than pleased to see me at 6.30.
In summary all Ok the shoulder a little sore but more from driving for 5 hours than the swimming. I have our own Masters Meet at the start of April which will tell me more after another four weeks of training.

No comments:

Post a Comment